Download the POI list and un-zip it.
If you are a subscriber, you can download the Campground Icons in your subscriber menu ("Additional Downloads") when you log into this site.
You can enter all the locations as one big file, but you will not be able to use the custom icons for each type. Here's how to customize the data:
If you don't have Excel, start with #1 below If you do have Excel
1. Open the list in any text editor, such as Notepad.
2. Select and copy all the rows containing one campground type, such as "coe"
3. Open a new blank Notepad file
4.Paste the rows you just copied into the new file.
5. Save the file, using the name of the campground type, such "coe.csv
6. Repeat for each campground type.
7. Open S&T
8. On the toolbar, click on “Data”
9. Select “Import Data Wizard”
10. Ensure that button marked "comma" is checked
11. Click Next
12. Click Finish
13. You should now see the map with pushpin markers on it.
14. Go to Step 19 below
1. Open the POI list in Excel, save as .xls file.
2. Select header row and enable filters.
3. Using the filter pull-down under Type, select one type, for example “blm”.
4. Select all the rows, including the header and Copy.
5. Click on a worksheet tab at the bottom of the page.
6. Double-click the tab for that empty worksheet and enter a new name, e.g. “blm”
7. Paste into this new worksheet the data selected in step 10.
8. Repeat for each type of campground. If you see no more tabs for blank worksheets, go to the Toolbar, select “Insert”, then select “Worksheet”. Or depending on your Excel version, select the "+" icon at the bottom of the page
9. Open MS Streets and Trips.
10. On the toolbar, click on “Data”
11. Select “Import Data Wizard”
12. In the dialogue window, locate the file containing the POI list and the worksheets for each campground type.
13. Click “Open”
14. Select the sheet from the workbook that you want to import - e.g., “blm”
15. Click “next”
16. Check the “data type” row in the dialogue and make sure each matches the type of data in that column.
17. Click “Finish”
18. You should now see the map with a red pushpin or gray square for each campground location.
20. Select “Properties”
21. In the dialogue window, in the center-right, click on the pull-down menu beside the red pushpin (or gray square).
22. Select “Import Custom Symbol”
23. Browse for the file containing the campground type icon you downloaded, such as “blm.bmp”, select it and then click OK.
24. You will now see the new symbol just below the “Import Custom Symbol” line.
25. Click on that symbol.
26. Click on the “Balloon” tab at the top of the window.
27. Put a check mark in front of each item that you want to see in a balloon when you click on the icon on the map.
28. Click “OK”
29. Repeat for each type of campground you want to include.
Tip: We suggest saving the map periodically as you load the pushpin sets. S&T may "choke" if you try to load them all before doing a Save.
Tip: if you plan to travel in only one part of the country or just in one state, you can copy and paste the state(s) you want into a new file and then proceed as above.
Known problem: The URL's for some of the US Forest Service locations are ridiculously long and eat up lots of space. Streets & Trips may "choke" on them when you try to import the Forest Service locations. Solution: Delete the URL column for the Forest Service entries before importing. This may also be a problem for other GPS systems. We are replacing those long URL's with TinyURL's.