Download the POI list and un-zip it.
If you are a subscriber, you can download the Campground Icons in your subscriber menu ("Additional Downloads") when you log into this site.
If you don't have Excel, start with #1 below If you do have Excel
1. Open the list in any text editor, such as Notepad.
2. Select and copy all the rows containing one campground type, such as "coe"
3. Open a new blank Notepad file
4.Paste the rows you just copied into the new file.
5. Save the file, using the name of the campground type, such "coe.csv
6. Repeat for each campground type.
7. Open S&T
8. On the toolbar, click on “Data”
9. Select “Import Data Wizard”
10. Ensure that button marked "comma" is checked
11. Click Next
12. Click Finish
13. You should now see the map with pushpin markers on it.
14. Go to Step 20 below
1. Open the POI list in Excel, save as .xls file
3. Select all the rows of entries for one type of campground, for example “blm” and Copy.
4. Click on a worksheet tab at the bottom of the page.
5. Double-click the tab for that empty worksheet and enter a new name, e.g. “blm”
6. Paste into this new worksheet the data selected in step 10.
7. Insert a row at the top.
8. Copy the Header row in the original file into the top row of the new worksheet.
9. Repeat for each type of campground. If you see no more tabs for blank worksheets, go to the Toolbar, select “Insert”, then select “Worksheet”.
10. Open MS Streets and Trips (this should work for 2009, 2010, and 2011 versions).
11. On the toolbar, click on “Data”
12. Select “Import Data Wizard”
13. In the dialogue window, locate the file containing the POI list and the worksheets for each campground type.
14. Click “Open”
15. Select the sheet from the workbook that you want to import - e.g., “blm”
16. Click “next”
17. Check the “data type” row in the dialogue and make sure each matches the type of data in that column.
18. Click “Finish”
19. You should now see the map with a red pushpin for each campground location.
21. Select “Properties”
22. In the dialogue window, in the center-right, click on the pull-down menu beside the red pushpin.
23. Select “Import Custom Symbol”
24. Browse for the file containing the campground type icon you downloaded, such as “blm.bmp”, select it and then click OK.
25. You will now see the new symbol just below the “Import Custom Symbol” line.
26. Click on that symbol.
27. Click on the “Balloon” tab at the top of the window.
28. Put a check mark in front of each item that you want to see in a balloon when you click on the icon on the map.
29. Click “OK”
30. Repeat for each type of campground you want to include.
Another tip: if you plan to travel in only one part of the country or just in one state, you can copy and paste the state(s) you want into a new file and then proceed as above.
Known problem: The URL's for some of the US Forest Service locations are ridiculously long and eat up lots of space. Streets & Trips 2011 chokes on them when you try to import the Forest Service locations. Solution: Delete the URL column for the Forest Service entries before importing. This may also be a problem for other GPS systems. We are replacing those long URL's with TinyURL's.